Something came over me this year. It took me 30+ years, but I’ve finally discovered how truly amazing a chocolate and peanut butter dessert can be. I’ve always enjoyed the combination, but something happened this year and took my enjoyment and made it an obsession. I can’t get enough! A few months ago, I came upon a wonderful chocolate cupcake and peanut butter frosting recipe in Ina Garten’s cookbook, Barefoot Contessa at Home. The cupcakes were fantastic, but the frosting was TO DIE FOR. It’s a delicious recipe and so simple that I’m shocked cupcake bakeries around the world haven’t jumped on it yet. It is truly the smoothest, creamiest, peanut butteriest frosting I’ve ever had. So, I got to thinking and thought that if this amazing frosting was great on a cupcake, it might be even better on a brownie.
I decided to bake brownie bites in my mini muffin pan. I thought this would work for two reasons. One: The brownie/peanut butter frosting combo would probably be pretty rich and Two: Mini brownies don’t make me feel nearly as guilty! Two or three mini brownies can’t be nearly as bad as one big brownie, right? Right? Right. (wink, wink)
So, now it was onto the frosting. I am not kidding when I say this frosting is the easiest, quickest frosting I’ve ever made…and I’ve made a lot of frosting. You might have all of the ingredients on hand at any time. You can frost to your heart’s content in less than 5 minutes.
After you whip the frosting into shape, simply spread or pipe the it onto the brownie bites. The frosting is very soft, so you may want to refrigerate the brownie bites if you aren’t going to serve them right away. They stay fresh for a few days…if they last that long.
PEANUT BUTTER CUP BROWNIE BITES
Frosting Recipe adapted from Ina Garten
- Brownie Bites:
- 1 box of brownie mix, your choice.
- mini cupcake wrappers
- Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (I use Jif)
- 5 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Make the brownies: Preheat your oven to 350*. Mix up your brownie mix according to the directions on the box. Place cupcake wrappers in a mini muffin tin. Spray the wrappers with nonstick spray. Spoon the brownie batter into the mini muffin wrappers, filling to just about the 3/4 mark. Bake, at 350* for approximately 14 minutes, or until tops are puffed, cracked and look dry. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Using a heavy-duty mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt. Mix on medium-low until very creamy. Scrape the bowl down at least once. Add the heavy cream and beat on high until the mixture is light and smooth. Pipe or spread on the brownie bites.
- Makes approx. 2 1/2 dozen brownie bites