I just love it when simple and healthy come together just right to create the perfect meal for a busy night. This is one of those recipes. It couldn’t be simpler, even for a slow cooker recipe, and is perfect for those nights when you’re playing taxi driver all night long and have to catch a meal somewhere in between trips.
Traditional succotash is a stewed combination of lima beans, corn, and tomatoes. It’s a cozy, home-cooking type dish, and is often served as a side. This version features more Mediterranean flavors, and creamy white beans in place of the lima beans. And when it’s served over some couscous, it makes for a hearty, healthy meal.
To begin, I chopped up some fresh zucchini and red bell pepper. I minced some garlic, and sliced a handful of kalamata olive in half.
All of the vegetables went into my slow cooker, along with two cans of Cannellini beans, a can of diced tomatoes, and a cup of chicken broth. You could easily substitute vegetable broth for the chicken, to make this a truly vegetarian dish, but I just used what I had on hand.
I gave the mixture a good stir, popped the lid on, and set it to cook on low for four hours.
Before serving, I juiced a lemon, cut up some fresh parsley, and grabbed some Balsamic vinegar.
The lemon juice, vinegar, and parsley all went into the pot, along with a hefty dose of pepper. The lemon and vinegar help perk up the flavors of the veggies a bit, so they taste beautifully fresh.
Once that was all mixed in, we were ready eat! It’s that simple! I served the succotash over some pearled couscous, and sprinkled the top with some crumbled feta cheese to finish things off.
SLOW COOKER MEDITERRANEAN SUCCOTASH
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- cooked pearled couscous
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place first 7 ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Stir in parsley, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add black pepper, stir well.
- Serve over cooked couscous and sprinkle with crumbled feta.