I love a good Caesar salad, and I have to say right off the bat that while this salad is awesome, this is not your everyday Chicken Caesar Salad. The dressing is not creamy, it’s a tangy vinaigrette, and it’s served warm over the salad. The chicken is coated in tangy lemon pepper seasoning. And, it’s minus all things slightly anchovy-like…which is the mark of a true, traditional Caesar salad…and something that I love, but a lot of people don’t. If you’re not an anchovy person, THIS is the salad for you!
So, while not the traditional Caesar salad, it’s pretty darn good nonetheless, and makes for an excellent, and speedy-quick, summer dinner.
I started by mixing together some lemon-pepper seasoning and garlic powder. Then, I poured the seasoning mix over some chicken tenders in a large zip-top bag, gave them a shake, and sent them aside.
Then, it was time to get cooking! I cooked the chicken tenders in a bit of olive oil on the stove top until they were nice and golden brown, and cooked through. This doesn’t take long, maybe five minutes.
I removed the chicken from the pan, leaving the drippings in the pan, and to the hot pan I added my dressing mixture of red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. I deglazed the pan with the mixture, making sure to scrape up the browned bits from the chicken into the dressing.
When it was mixed together well, I poured the warm dressing over my cool, crisp Romaine lettuce, and gave it a good toss.
That’s it! I heaped some of the dressed lettuce onto each plate, added in a few tomatoes, some crunchy store-bought croutons, and some shredded Parmesan cheese. Then, I piled a couple of the chicken tenders right on top.
So, different? Yes! Delicious? You bet. It’s a great recipe to have in your back pocket for busy summer nights where you just want something light and fresh, but don’t want to spend a whole lot of time getting it together.
QUICKIE CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD
Adapted from Southern Living
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast tenders
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, cleaned, and chopped into pieces
- 1/2 lb. Campari tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups store-bought garlic croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Combine the first three ingredients, stirring well until the mustard is mixed in. Set aside.
- Place the chicken tenders in a large zip-top bag. Mix together the lemon-pepper and garlic powder. Pour the spice mix over the chicken, seal the bag, and shake to coat.
- Pour the olive oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes, or until done, turning once. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate covered in paper towels. Leave the drippings in the pan.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and pour in the vinegar mixture. Scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and stir into the dressing.
- Pour the warm dressing over the Romaine.
- Heap the salad onto plates, top with croutons, tomatoes, and Parmesan. Place the chicken tenders atop the salad.