Do you have fifteen minutes to spare in the name of a good meal? If so, I can get you from the stove to the dinner table in that small snippet of time. I know you guys like easy weeknight meals, and they don’t get much easier than this. In fact, last night, my husband picked up Emily from her theater class and I had him call me as he left for home, so that I could see how fast I could move this dinner. It’s a fifteen minute drive from her class to our house…and here’s what happened during that time.
I gathered my ingredients. Simplicity reigns here, and all you’ll need is some linguine or fettuccine, prosciutto, frozen peas, half and half and chicken broth. (I tried to lighten things up by using the half and half mixed with broth. The original recipe calls for a cup of heavy cream. You do what’s right for you.)
I carefully placed the pasta into a large pot of boiling water on the stove.
Once the pasta was in, I heated a bit of olive oil in a large pan on the stove, and sauteed my prosciutto until it started to crisp up.
Once it had sizzled for about 3 minutes, I deglazed the pan with a little bit of white wine. I let that reduce down for a couple of minutes, and then added in my frozen peas, half and half and chicken broth.
I drained my pasta, and carefully stirred it into the mixture on the stove.
I let the pasta and sauce simmer for a bit on the stove, stirring it every once in a while, letting it thicken up a bit.
Right before I served it up, I sprinkled the pasta with some salt and a little bit of cayenne pepper, just enough to let you know it’s there.
My husband and Emily walked in the door, and I placed their plates in front of them. Done!
Simple. Quick. Classic. It’s a delicate sauce, lighter than you’d imagine, and a pretty tasty way to end a busy, busy day.
Have a great weekend.
Oh, and don’t forget to enter The Biggest Giveaway of the Year! If you missed the post last night, check it out today. I’d love for a Chew Nibble Nosh reader to get their hands on that iPad!
PASTA WITH PEAS AND PROSCIUTTO
Adapted from Cuisine at Home
- 8 oz. linguine or fettuccine
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 oz. prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- (or, substitute 1 cup of heavy cream for the half and half and broth)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil on the stove.
- Cook the pasta in the water, according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large saute pan.
- Saute the prosciutto for 3-4 minutes, until it starts to crisp up a bit.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half, chicken broth, and peas.
- Add the drained pasta and carefully toss with the sauce.
- Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Garnish with grated parmesan.