Anyone who knows me well can tell you that I am a bit of a coffee junkie. I’m only slightly embarrassed to admit that one of the happiest times of the year for me is when coffee shops across the country roll out their Pumpkin Spice lattes and fall flavored coffees.
So, imagine my joy when I was poking around Pinterest (Are you on Pinterest? If you aren’t, you should be.) and I came across a recipe for pumpkin spiced krispie treats. The original recipe is on the wonderful baking blog, Cookies and Cups. As a firm believer in the power of a simple Rice Krispie treat, I knew I had to try this out for myself.
Rice Krispie treats are one of the easiest “Everyone Loves Them” desserts out there. I’ve never seen anyone turn their nose up at one. Adding a little fall festivity to a batch couldn’t be wrong!
You’ll start with your basic krispie treat staples. The only addition will be a bit from that little jar of Pumpkin Pie Spice you have lurking in your spice cabinet from the last time you baked a pumpkin pie.
As with a regular krispie treat recipe, you’ll melt your butter first. The difference with these is that you’ll want to brown your butter, just a little bit. Browning the butter gives the butter a nuttier, fuller flavor. There’s a fine line between browning and burning, though. Melt the butter on medium-low heat, stirring gently, and watch it like a hawk. Once it starts toasting up a bit, you’re done. If you leave it on the heat for even just a few more seconds, you’ll have a mess of burnt butter on your hands.
Next, add your marshmallows and a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
Just stir it all up, mix in your Rice Krispies, pop it in the pan, and you’re done!
Five minutes at the stove and you’ll have a really tasty little treat on your hands. The flavor of the browned butter and spices are subtle, but just enough to take our favorite quick and easy childhood snack to a new, more mature level. I’ve found a new fall favorite! Now, all I need is a cup of coffee to go with it.
BROWNED BUTTER PUMPKIN SPICE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
Adapted from Cookies and Cups
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 (10.5 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Grease a 9×9 or 9×13 inch dish, depending on how thick you like your Rice Krispie Treats.
- Over medium-low heat, melt the butter in a large saucepan. After the butter melts, keep it on the heat, stirring, until the butter begins to turn a toasty, brown color. Once the butter is browned, add the marshmallows and Pumpkin Pie Spice. Stir until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies. Once mixed well, pour them into your prepared dish. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and gently press the mixture into the dish. Cool before slicing.